Friday, May 8, 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine Game Review

I just got done playing the X-Men Origins: Wolverine demo on my Playstation 3, and I thought I would write a review about it. First off, I really enjoyed the demo. It had a lot of meat to it, unlike other demos (cough, cough, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2). The in game cinematics looked good. Thought it was kind of weird how the game started in the not so distant future, but whatever. After watching the first cinematic, then looking at the in-game menu, I started hacking and slashing my way through typical machete wielding, gun totting mercenaries. After a while, I felt like I was playing God of War, which in any way isn't bad. After a while, I come up to a scene where Logan lunges onto a helicopter, pulls the pilot out, and shoves him up into the propeller so just his head gets sliced. I was kind of amazed at that, I didn't think that their would be so much gore in this game, seeing as the movie is PG-13. The game moves on a linear path, which is kind of upsetting. I tried to jump onto a cliff to look around, but couldn't because of an invisible wall. I'm not to crazy about invisible walls, especially if they implement a path finding mechanic, such as feral mode. When you activate feral mode, your vision changes and you see a blue sort of wave pointing you in the direction of the next check point. Why do I need something to point me in the direction of the next checkpoint, if the path is linear to begin with?

A little later I came across a machete wielding man who was on fire, sort of. He kind of had lava skin, so he was a machete wielding lava man...I guess. Anyways, that character is tougher to beat the the regular bad guys, but all I did was lung and hit heavy attack until he died. A little later Logan has to fight his way across a rope bridge with enemies coming at him both ways, and enemies cutting the ropes to the bridge behind him. So, you plow on ahead and the bridge breaks, and Logan holds on to the bridge, and that bridge comes to rest on the face of a cliff. So you begin to wall climb, hacking up at enemies that held on, or grabbing and throwing them off the side of the cliff. After that, you kill some more bad guys, grab a Jeep and send it crashing through a big King Kong like gate, kill some more bad guys, learn about berserk rage orbs, then see a gigantic lava creature come storming through another huge gate, and then the demo ends.

Hmm...maybe I'm bad and writing reviews. Oh well, guess I need to practice my writing skills. I liked the demo, it was fun, but not really original. I guess it's tough to say that because what is original these days. Every new game, or new movie, or new comic book takes various bits from other games, movies, comics or what have you that inspire the creators and writers who make whatever that new thing is. X-Men Origins: Wolverine may feel like God of War, but I don't think I'd want it any other way. That type of fighting mechanic just works. I'll probably rent this game, maybe buy it. If I had to rate it, I'd say a solid B.

If anyone reads this, leave me some comments and tell me what you think.

1 comment:

Nomad said...

this game looks really amazing; makes me wish they had made the movie R-rated